Wednesday, March 10, 2010

So ya wanna know how it went?!

DAY 1


Getting ready for the trip, I really didn't know what to expect. I hadn't really had an opportunity to get to know any of the Bonners on the roster, but still, I was souped. We were fortunate enough to have a minivan in addition to Van 2, so the drive was very comfortable. I was appointed co-pilot of the mini-van with Ashley (the true G) as our driver and Nicole and Sabrina in the back. T'was very fun. Ashley and I talked, sang, and really bonded the whole way up (wait, no. down) here. Then came sleep, which was nice.

DAY 2


Let me start by saying the weather on our drive down and throughout day 2 far exceeded my expectations. I was pleasantly surprised to find myself wearing just a T-shirt and jeans when I had been anticipating rockin' a ripe banana yellow raincoat. We visited the King's Center on Auburn Ave, which was rich with history. We walked across the footsteps of well known civil rights activists such as Maya Angleou and Reverend Al Sharpton and entered the Visitor's Center where there were documentaries playing above us while we walked around, learning the specifics of life before and during the Civil Rights Movement. The fact that a "white person" would be thrown in jail for simply allowing a "colored person" to live in the same house with them is beyond me. I read so many laws like this that just blew my mind. In addition, we walked around the exhibit within hearing distance of a little boy with his family. He did not fully understand what the Civil Rights Movement was or why people were mistreated. His mother just said, "because they didn't like us." He remained puzzled and asking questions for the entire exhibit.

We saw a short film highlighting the youth's engagement in the Movement, which was rather rewarding/exciting. It was interesting to know that fourth graders were asked not to march at one point (for fear of their safety) but did so anyway. I also did not know that children were asked to take the place of their parents in jail so that the adults could continue to work to provide for their families.



We had approximately one hour of potential idle time but chose to be oober productive and time efficient by visiting the Spelman and Morehouse campuses--which happen to be connected! Unfortunately, they were all on Spring Break which left us without a tour guide. We showed ourselves around the campus and entered building (whose name I know not) that contained inspirational quotes from Martin Luther King Jr. in addition to portraits of significant figures such as Ghandi. Although the campus was vacant for the most part, you could tell that once spring break was over, it would be full of life and laughter (definitely a hot spot).


We returned to Auburn Avenue for our tour of MLK Jr's birth home. Did you know that the museum purchased the homes surrounding the Kings' home in order to insure that the neighborhood would continue to appear as it did back then? Doing so really gave me a feel for the kind of environment such an influential figure was born and raised in. MLK Jr's birth home was his home up until the age of twelve. I was also informed (by our tour-guide) that his aunt and uncle lived with them. In addition, I was told other college students (his uncle was also attending college) lived with them. In other words, MLK was surrounded by thinkers and doers throughout his youth.


We then headed back to the Ramada to prepare for our dinner with John, a former Bonner (although Pat would disagree strongly) who sings VERY WELL. We ate at Diddy's restaurant, Justin's. The lighting was dim, the music was awesome, the food was delicious, and the conversation was delightful. We talked about everything under the sun, including Bonner memories and what we were grateful for. This reflection (led by G) really made me realize how much I appreciate being a Bonner. I want to thank the Bonner staff (especially Pat and Paula) for giving me the opportunity to continue to work as a Bonner and also for giving us the opportunity to go on such an amazing trip.



Day 3




So much for the good weather...

We awoke to the cold rain that the weather channel had warned us all about. The first two days were filled with learning--about our fellow Bonners, The Civil Rights Movement, and of the past and present of Atlanta. On our third day, we concentrated on service. We went to the Hosea Feed the Hungry Warehouse/Soup Kitchen. On our way to the site, we were once again confronted with the unfortunate yet apparent poverty present in the city of Atlanta. Despite the weather, you could see men and women waiting in the cold rain for the gates to Hosea to open. I cannot say for sure whether or not they were homeless, but you could see both pain and determination on their faces--a countenance which described their trials without a need for words.



Once we entered the building, signed in, and acquainted ourselves with the faculty and the facility, I was pumped/souped/very much excited. I can't fully describe what I thought or felt, but I suppose it was the thought that we were about to dedicate four hours to making life easier for not just the faculty of the warehouse, but for the individual clients who were in need of the services this building provided. Our task was simply to sort through giant boxes, known as gaylords, of mostly canned goods. Occasionally, we would come across miscellaneous donated goods such as clothing, dry goods, pencils, and the like. The gaylords were huge--about three feet in height and wide enough to fit all of us standing inside. Still, we were able to sort through 3 of them as a team. Impressed with our hard work, Reggie (the Volunteer Coordinator) asked us when we would be returning. Our response was "Maybe next year?". Secretly, I hoped this was true. I had such a great time working with my new family of Bonners and knew how grateful both the staff and clients were for our work that it bothered me that we would not be returning the following day, nor anytime soon.


After another delicious meal in the very welcoming state of Georgia, we returned to our hotel to prepare for the next day's service and the associated agenda. We split into groups of two and prepared our lessons. The Junior Achievement kits were awesome! They focused on key concepts like earning and saving money and responsibility. The kits simplified the lessons with very specific directions and suggestions and provided plenty of materials to keep the kindergarteners entertained. These materials included stickers, a cardboard bank, and a scratch-off bookmark. Natasha and I decided to be partners, which made me happy because I felt confident having someone who is very much experienced with working with kindergarteners (whereas, I am not).


DAY 4



More rain, yet no complaints!
We woke up to more wet weather but did not let that ruin our excitement. We threw on our business casual attire and headed toward John Hope Elementary School (which was located just beside the King's Visitor Center that we had visited on Tuesday). We were greeted by Niambi Brown who prepared us for our classrooms and answered any and all of our questions prior to assigning us to our rooms. Natasha and I were assigned to Ms. Bell's classroom. When we walked in, fifteen tiny and very attentive pairs of eyes were on us. The classroom was silent, and the children were all smiling. I then realized that I had never worked with this many kindergarteners at one time and nervously introduced myself and Natasha. Once we began our lesson, the silence broke and their energy levels became rather apparent. I must say, although I began as a nervous rookie who was unaccustomed to working with that age group, Natasha's suggestions really helped me to improve my confidence and the quality of my teaching (in such a short period of time).


Once we had all finished our lessons, we returned to Niambi Brown for a closing session. She began by asking for our feedback on the Junior Achievement Program . We had very few suggestions because we all agreed the kit was very well thought-out. She then surprised us all with certificates signed by the students we had just taught, which made us all beam with pride and joy.


DAY 5



NO! I don't want to go!
We had all our things packed and ready for the long drive back home by seven in the mornin'. I cannot speak for everyone else (but I'll sure try) when I say that this trip went rather quickly. I learned so much and had so much fun that I didn't really want to leave...but we did. Our trip home was filled with laughter, reflection, and even more learning (about one another of course!)

I think Atlanta was the perfect place to send a diverse group of students like ourselves. It was inspirational and encouraging to see where such a powerful group of individuals were able to work together to change history and fulfill their dreams (particularly MLK's). It fascinates me to visit such places as Birmingham and Atlanta, which are so rich in history. I'm grateful for the opportunity to see firsthand, what teachers and professors, as well as books and movies have been trying to illustrate to us about the Civil Rights Movement and the people affected by it (past and present).


I'm also grateful to have been able to do service work in Georgia. I think it is equally important to serve in other communities as it is to serve in your own and I am both happy and humbled by my experience in the very hospitable state of Georgia.


Lastly, I am so happy to have gotten to know my fellow Bonners. Although we are all Bonners and share the same objective of volunteerism/service, we do not all share the same sites. I am glad that we were given the opportunity to step outside of our normal routine and get to know each other's habits, hobbies, majors, music preferences, and personalities.


Before I go, I would like to thank Pat and Paula (for overseeing this event), Dana (for putting ALOT of time and effort into planning and organizing), Giancarlo and Ashley (for being the best chaperones ever) and Bonner (for being that thing that brings us together).





Until next time...


Erica Janine

No comments:

Post a Comment